The main objective of the project is to contribute to the strengthening of knowledge and assessment capability of the water policies in a Mediterranean context, in order to better orient:
- the future of EU sustainable development strategy,
- the next EU cooperative research programmes and developing projects,
- any further action expected to improve sustainability of water policy at Euro-Mediterranean level,
- enhancing a permanent societal multi-stakeholder discourse on policy sustainability.
SWAP intends to establish a common reference system or approach to water policy assessment and development to support decision-makers, legislators and administrators based on a bottom-up participation of a large varieties of stakeholders, focussing on the integration between policy and variables-indicators of sustainability variables and the cultural traditions related to water.
Moreover SWAP intends to increase public and private awareness in regard to the assessment of policy implementation and its sustainability. This would more and more bring the sustainable management of water under the focus of local to regional policies, strategies and plans.
Specific objectives are:
The following results are expected in order to achieve the above specific objectives:
- assessing achievement of sustainability objectives as stated in the Mediterranean Strategy for Sustainable Development endorsed in November 2005 by the 21 Mediterranean rim countries and the European Community in the context of Lisbon & Barcelona process,
- framing and integrating Mediterranean water policy development (local and regional level) in a common perspective of Sustainable Development.
The main frame of activity of the project, as it will be seen later, will be centred on:
- an improved knowledge of the state-of-art regarding evaluation of policy implementation
- a well established local public discourse (in selected case-studies) on water policy evaluation and established participatory policy analysis through local multi-stakeholder Fora
- the dissemination of results beyond the local Fora
- improved awareness of policy makers and politics on the need of linking policy implementation with societal and local needs and with the criteria of sustainability.
- convey stakeholders and citizens in a multi-stakeholder Forum in three selected case studies
- the activation and stimulation of the local public discourse on policy evaluation within the multi-stakeholder Fora of the selected case-studies,
- the elaboration of a frame of variables and indicators, as a base for a common methodology for policy analysis, agreed within the multi-stakeholder Fora,
- guide the Fora in policy evaluation,
- disseminate results at high policy level,
- convey the Fora and results achieved in a final international conference on water policy evaluation.